City & Government Reporter
Oil City News
Oil City News is searching for an experienced reporter or exceptional recent graduate to join our newsroom as City Reporter. A fast-paced position at Oil City News, our City Reporter creates content on a daily basis, proactively working to increase visibility and engagement with city-related news, breaking news, events and announcements. As City Reporter, you’ll use your writing, editing and photography skills to deliver timely and accurate information to our community. You’ll primarily cover city and county government, along with select local boards and activities. You’ll also facilitate conversation among community members, serving as the voice of one of the area’s most popular news platforms. The City Reporter is an active participant within the community and your work will be seen by thousands of people each day.
Essential functions of this role include: working as a member of a small news team to effectively cover city news, ability to create timely and accurate content, managing multiple assignments each day, interviewing community members, covering community events, writing short feature stories, writing news summaries and reporting to a managing editor.
- Associates Degree
- Experience or formal training as a Journalist covering city government in a community similar to Casper, Wyoming
- Must live in or be willing to relocate to Casper, Wyoming or nearby communities of Bar Nunn, Mills, Evansville.
- Excellent written communication skills; ability to write quickly and accurately
- Experienced Facebook user
- Passionate about Casper and Wyoming
- Create original content for our online-only news platform
- Attend press conferences, briefings, public meetings
- Attend community events
- File reports from the scene of breaking news
- Edit and prepare reader-submitted tips for publication
- Upload/publish content on digital platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube
- Contribute to community promotion, engagement strategies and tactics related to the brand
- Monitors discussions, resource postings, and trends within the community and on brand platforms; identifies and reports usage trends and advises on potential opportunities
- Networks with community members
- Coordinates with support staff to ensure high level of quality and community engagement
- $40-50K per year, depending on experience
- Paid Vacation, paid holidays, health insurance. We’re located in the heart of Wyoming, which means you’ll have extensive access to fresh air and the great outdoors. There’s a mountain, a lake, a river, a whitewater park, an extensive trail system and a ski area just a few minutes from our office.
To apply, send your resume and at least three samples of your work to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. TELECOMMUTERS NEED NOT APPLY