Over 1 million readers this year!

Teen hospitalized with 2nd-degree burns following midnight vehicle fire

(file photo)

GILLETTE, Wyo. — An 18-year-old man was hospitalized early this morning after sustaining second-degree burns in a vehicle fire near West 4th Street and North Burma Avenue, Gillette Deputy Police Chief Brent Wasson said. 

According to the report, a 1998 Ford Mustang caught fire around midnight July 10. The fire was ignited by a 17-year-old boy attempting to burn off spilled gasoline from a car seat while traveling to a bonfire. 

Wasson said the 18-year-old was transporting the gasoline between his feet using a bucket; some of the gasoline spilled on him and the seat on the way to Northwest Park. 

The 17-year-old boy attempted to burn off the spilled gasoline with a lighter, causing the seat to catch fire immediately, Wasson said. The 18-year-old sustained second-degree burns when his clothing ignited while trying to smother the fire.  

Per Wasson, the 18-year-old was transported to Campbell County Health for treatment. The fire caused over $2,500 in damage to the Mustang, which was considered a total loss at the time of the report.

Related