Over 1 million readers this year!

Sunny and warmer today ahead of midweek thunderstorm chances

Wyoming state flag (Shutterstock)

GILLETTE, Wyo. — Late spring in Gillette is bringing some summertime vibes with clear, sunny skies and highs in the 70s.

The National Weather Service in Rapid City, South Dakota, has forecast a high of 75 today. Expect a southwest breeze at 6–10 mph to pick up later this evening to 10–15 mph. After midnight, that’ll increase to 18–23 mph. Gusts could reach 32 mph. Tonight’s low will be near 53.

Wednesday has the greatest potential for storms this week. It’ll be even warmer with a forecast high of 79. Winds will hardly let up, coming from the south at 14–22 mph. A 40% chance for thunderstorms works itself into the forecast after 3 p.m. and rises to 60% for the evening. Skies will be clear during the day and mostly cloudy by night. The forecast low is 45 degrees.

Storm chances dwindle to 20% and fall off as Thursday morning approaches. In the wake of the front responsible for the storm chances, Thursday will be quite a bit cooler with a forecast high of 60. Mostly sunny skies are expected and should remain clear into Thursday night. A lingering 20% chance for thunderstorms is forecast after midnight as the low drops to around 43.

Drier weather sets up for the upcoming weekend and into June. Friday will be sunny with a high near 72, followed by 79 on Saturday, 76 on Sunday and 79 on Monday. Lows will be near 50 each night, according to the forecast.

More on the weather is available from the National Weather Service in Rapid City.

Related