Over 1 million readers this year!

Sun, warmth return Wednesday ahead of weekend rain

GILLETTE, Wyo. — Some much-needed moisture is on the way for Campbell County, but there’s a sunny and warm Wednesday to get through first.

Gillette is kicking off Wednesday with a 39-degree temperature at 6 a.m. From there, the high will climb to near 70 under mostly sunny skies, according to the National Weather Service in Rapid City, South Dakota. Winds will come from the south at 7–16 mph and gust at up to 25 mph. Clouds are expected to roll in overnight as the low falls to 46.

Wednesday could be the last dry day of the week, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing for Campbell County. The latest map from the U.S. Drought Monitor shows portions of the county are abnormally dry while northern parts are in moderate drought.

(U.S. Drought Monitor)

Thursday will start off partly sunny and will likely see increasing clouds as rain chances begin to pick up after noon. The high will be near 71. A 30% chance for rain kicks off after noon, becoming a 40% chance for showers and thunderstorms as evening approaches. The overnight low will fall to 44 as rain chances fall slightly to 30% for the rest of the night.

Rain chances bump up again to 60% for Friday. The forecast high is 59. It’ll be quite windy, too, with north winds at 18–26 mph and gusts of up to 34 mph. The 60% chance for rain persists into the night as the low falls to 41. Thunderstorms are again possible Friday evening.

Saturday’s rain chances increase to 80%, and it’ll be cooler at 49 degrees thanks to the cloud coverage and northwest winds. Rain chances remain through the night and into Sunday. The forecast low is 36.

Sunday will be slightly warmer at 52, but rain remains possible until Monday, when temperatures will also return to the 60s.

More on the weather is available from the National Weather Service in Rapid City.