GILLETTE, Wyo. — At Gillette College’s quarterly town hall on March 9, President Janell Oberlander provided updates on the transition from Northern Wyoming Community College District.
She said the leases for the county- and city-owned buildings are still under the Northern Wyoming Community College District name. The Wyoming Community College Commission advised Gillette College to go through the state capital construction process so that it’s eligible for major maintenance funding. These changes require legislative action.
The city of Gillette owns Inspiration Hall, a portion of the health science building and three of the four buildings at Tanner Village, and Campbell County owns the Tech Center, the main building and the Pronghorn Center, she said.
Oberlander said she’s sure the city council will transfer the property. City Council Member Heidi Gross, who’s the executive director of the Gillette College Foundation, said she would recuse herself when it comes to a vote. Oberlander said it’s important to note that Gross’ salary is paid for by the foundation.
She said the county’s intention is to transfer its buildings once the college reaches accreditation.
Oberlander said that the college is also setting up an IT infrastructure as part of the transition. That infrastructure will be cloud-based, instead of on-premises, which will save taxpayers $200,000 to $300,000, she said.
Oberlander also provided updates at the 2023 Vision intergovernmental meeting.
- 11 a.m. March 15 – Board of Trustees meeting, Tech Center
- 5 to 7 p.m. March 16 – college-hosted March Campbell County Chamber of Commerce Mixer, Main Building Commons
- March 17-19 – Home Rodeo, CAM-PLEX
- March 18-19 – NEWCA Home Show, CAM-PLEX
- April 12-13 – WACCT/WCCC Meetings, Eastern Wyoming College
- 11:30 a.m. April 15 – Board of Trustees meeting, Tech Center
- May 12 – Commencement
- 11:30 a.m. May 17 – Board of Trustees meeting, Tech Center
- June 7-8 – WACCT/WCCC Meetings, Northwest College
- August 24-25 – WACCT/WCCC Meetings (budgetary approval), Casper College
- October 4-5 – WACCT/WCCC Meetings, Northern Wyoming Community College District
The college’s Casino Night fundraiser April 15 has sold out, Oberlander said.