Over 1 million readers this year!

2 inches of snow in Gillette possible in storm expected to last the weekend

Snowfall is expected to begin in Campbell County tonight as part of a snowstorm that’s expected to linger through the weekend.

H/t Miss Bailey Knopp

GILLETTE, Wyo. — Snowfall is expected to begin in Campbell County tonight as part of a snowstorm that’s expected to linger through the weekend.

First, though, will be a day of sunshine. The forecast for today from the National Weather Service in Rapid City, South Dakota, calls for a high of 33 under mostly sunny skies. The wind chill will dip to around 14 degrees as winds come from the northwest at 13 to 18 mph with gusts reaching 29 mph.

Snow chances begin tonight at 50%. The sky will be mostly cloudy as the low falls to around 23. Wind chills will dip further to 12 degrees as winds pick up to 15 to 22 mph with gusts to 33 mph.

Snow chances increase to 60% on Wednesday with a forecast high of 29 degrees. With winds from the northwest even stronger at 22 to 24 mph with gusts to 36 mph, wind chills will dip again to 10 degrees. New snow accumulation is forecast at about an inch. Wednesday night will see snow chances fall slightly to 40% as the low gets to 22 degrees and wind chills dip to 8 degrees. Blustery conditions are expected to continue with a northwest wind 21 to 26 mph and gusts reaching 39 mph.

Thursday’s snow chances will be opposite Wednesday’s with the 40% chance in the daytime and the 60% chance at night. Thursday is forecast as the warmest day of the week with the high reaching 35 degrees. Windy conditions will continue with a west wind 14 to 23 mph and gusts of 34 mph. Wind speeds pick up overnight as the low falls to 27. Winds from the northwest are expected at 25 to 32 mph with gusts to 48 mph possible.

Snow is likely Friday and Saturday with continued 60% chances. Friday’s high is forecast at 32 degrees while Saturday’s will be half that at 16 degrees due to much colder air filtering into the region.

“Arctic cold front will arrive late Friday or early Saturday and spell a potentially long period of very cold air through much of next week,” meteorologists wrote in forecast discussion.

By Sunday night, Gillette could see between four and six inches of fresh snow, the National Weather Service said.

More on the forecast is available at the National Weather Service website.

Advertisement

Related