Over 1 million readers this year!

Snow increasingly likely as the week wears on; frigid temps in store for the weekend

GILLETTE, Wyo. — Snow will be increasingly likely this week as low pressure sets up over the region and multiple waves of atmospheric moisture roll through.

The National Weather Service in Rapid City, South Dakota, says snow will begin to again impact Campbell County tonight, after skies gradually clear through the day and the high reaches about 30 degrees. Wind chills during the day may dip to 16 degrees as winds come from the north at 10 mph and gusts reach 24 mph.

Snowfall chances ramp up to 40% after 11 p.m. The overnight low should remain steady at 25 degrees as winds turn yet again to come from the northwest at 11 to 21 mph, dropping wind chills to 11 degrees.

Roads in Campbell County are already slick in spots with snowfall. With some clearing of clouds today, snow-covered ice may be a main travel concern Tuesday morning. Skies will remain partly sunny for the day, and the high will bump up slightly to 32 degrees ahead of the next chance for snow Tuesday night. The National Weather Service says there’s a 30% chance of snow, increasing to 70% for Wednesday. Blustery overnight conditions are expected as winds come from the northwest at 17 to 23 mph and gusts reach 36 mph. The forecast low is 22 degrees.

Wednesday’s snow is most likely before 11 a.m. The day will otherwise be mostly cloudy with a high near 29. Winds will get worse through the day with sustained speeds of 24 to 26 mph and gusts reaching 36 mph. That will continue through the night Wednesday, which carries a 50% chance for snow and a forecast low of 21 degrees.

Chance snow remains possible the remainder of the week as that low pressure moves slowly through the region. Thursday and Friday are likely to be the warmest days with a high of 34. Saturday night has a forecast low of -3.

More on the forecast is available at the National Weather Service website.

Advertisement

Related