GILLETTE, Wyo. — A wood stove caused the fire that occurred Jan. 16 in a double-wide mobile home at 1208 Warrior Road in Gillette, said Campbell County Fire Department Capt. Sam Clikeman, who investigated the fire.
The stove was running, and there was an escape from the stove system that ended up causing the fire, Clikeman said Jan. 17.
He said that while the fire might not have spread to surrounding buildings if firefighters hadn’t have responded, the fire caused a total loss of the building.
“The fire extended into the attic space and caused extensive heat, smoke, and fire damage throughout the home,” the department said in a news release Jan. 17.
Battalion Chief Ryan Fox said Jan. 16 that the two dogs that died in the fire died from smoke inhalation. He and Clikeman said they didn’t know the names or breeds of the two dogs that died in the fire.
Clikeman said there were two individuals living at the house. Those individuals were displaced, the department said.
He said the department leaves it up to the homeowner and residents to determine whether they want help.
“Some people want help,” Clikeman said. “Some people don’t.”
He said residents should make sure they have their stoves cleaned out annually and inspected.
Campbell County Sheriff’s Office, Powder River Electric, Red Cross, and Campbell County Health EMS assisted the fire department on scene, the department said in the release.