GILLETTE, Wyo. — County 17 has sent out a questionnaire to those running in the primary election in August. The following are the answers from Ogden Driskill, who is running to keep the State Senator for District 1 seat.
- Please introduce yourself and describe your educational and employment history. Please include your name and hometown and highlights of past Campbell County involvement.
I am Ogden Driskill, a sixth generation rancher and small businessman from Devils Tower, Wyoming. I am a graduate of Hulett High School (1977), Casper College (AA Ag-business)(1979), and attended the University of Wyoming. I returned from college in 1981, married Rosanne Shoop from Lysite in 1981 and went to work on the family ranch. I have either run or manage the ranch since 1981. In addition my wife and I purchased the Devils Tower Trading Post operating it until its sale in 1993. My wife was the Devils Tower Postmaster for 30 plus years. In 2012 my younger brother passed away and Zannie and I purchased the Devils Tower KOA, running it with our children. We have been part of various other business ventures. Highlights of Campbell County involvement have been deep and many including the following:
- Played a key part in Garner Lake Road realignment-helping local access while opening up millions of tons of minable coal.
- Helped with getting funding for the Gillette Madison water project, providing water through much of Campbell County and Gillette.
- Helped get passing lanes on Highway 59
- Worked closely with Commissioners and others to keep coal mines open and employees with jobs.
- Many, many other bills and budget items helping Campbell County. I have worked closely with businesses, local governments and Individuals to help in many ways.
- Why have you decided to run for this office?
I want to continue to be part of the solution for Campbell County and Wyoming and their long term success.
- Compared with other candidates running in this election, why are you the best candidate for this position?
Experience, experience, experience. I have a great depth of knowledge of the process and how to accomplish things. I have risen in leadership to Majority Floor Leader. I am the only candidate (or legislator) that is in line to be in leadership. Leadership has the ability to greatly benefit local communities, counties and their legislators. I am respected and liked by the sitting legislators and have the ability to “move the ball”. A proven track record of actual accomplishments—not talk and rhetoric. One of the only legislators in recent decades that has written bills that created jobs and revenue to the state and local communities without spending taxpayer dollars.
- What is your vision for the future of your district? What, if any, new initiatives would you like to implement if elected?
My vision is to continue to diversify our economy, while providing bedrock support for our existing industries. I will be a major champion for Coal, Oil, Gas and Mining alongside with their support industries and new evolving business as they come in. Goal 1 is to make our community a better place to live and keep our youth with the opportunity to stay here.
Property taxes must be dealt with as soon as possible. The level of increase is unstainable and will have extreme consequences on the elderly, poor and those on fixed incomes. We must find a solution.
We must continue to shrink government in a sensible way, while still providing necessary services.
We must keep taxes as low as possible
I will Continue to work on education choice.
Continue to be innovative in diversifying our economy.
- Is there anything else voters should know about you as they determine whom to vote for?
I am a proven conservative. Pro-Life, Proven champion of the second amendment, small government, a saver and a leader-respected by other legislators. I have been a part of cutting the Wyoming general fund budget by over 25% in the last 12 years and reducing state employees by 400 plus in the same time frame. In the same 12 years the state savings has grown from 14.43 Billion to 24.9 Billion as of June 1. I have a proven track record on shrinking government while increasing savings. It has been done in such a fashion as most don’t know it even happened. Investment income is now over 25% of our General Fund spending. I have a proven track record of getting things done. Many wanting the office talk a big talk—but are unable to deliver. I am a proven leader and have a record of helping local constituents and community. I would appreciate your vote.