Gillette man shot, killed Sunday morning by GPD officers identified

The man who was killed by local police officers Sunday after he charged at them with an edged weapon has been identified as Ismael Trinidad Montes, 22, of Gillette, the Campbell County Coroner’s Office confirmed Tuesday.

Montes was shot and killed by two Gillette police officers on Church Avenue around 7:17 a.m. Jan. 16 after they responded to a residence at the request of a resident who wanted Montes removed from her property, according to a statement from the Gillette Police Department (GPD).

The resident accused Montes of making threats of violence against other occupants in the home. When officers arrived, he reportedly refused to leave, arming himself with a “large, edged weapon” and retreating further into the home when officers attempted to disarm him through less than lethal means, per the statement.

Montes then charged at the officers, the statement says, while allegedly swinging the weapon at them, forcing both officers to discharge their duty weapons.

The officers then attempted life-saving measures until emergency medical services arrived, who pronounced Montes deceased at the scene, per the statement, which adds that one of the officers was treated for minor injuries.

-- Crime coverage is brought to you with the support of Just Criminal Law. – Story Continues Below --

Campbell County Coroner Paul Wallem declined to comment on the nature of Montes’ injuries, stating that while the autopsy was concluded on Monday, Jan. 17, the official report still needed to be completed by the forensic pathologist as of Jan. 18.

Once that’s done, we should be able to comment on the cause and manner of death, Wallem said, adding that his office’s comment would be limited as the incident remains under investigation by the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI).

Both officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave pending the results of the investigation, in accordance with GPD policy.

The GPD on Monday, Jan. 17, declined to identify what weapon Montes had in his possession, deferring to the official statement that was released hours after the incident that states no further information will be released until the DCI concludes their investigation.