This year’s Campbell County Parks & Recreation 4th of July fireworks display has been cancelled.
The decision was announced in a press release issued by the Parks & Recreation Department (CCPRD) earlier this morning and stated that CCPRD and the Campbell County Fire Department (CCFD) had arrived at the decision jointly.
According to the release, the decision was made after evaluating the implications to safety from the hot dry weather.
In an email to County 17, CCPRD Executive Director Dwayne Dillinger said that the lightning storm earlier this week started a number of grass fires that CCFD had to respond to. Given the forecast for next week and the continued hot dry weather, Dillinger said holding the fireworks event didn’t seem like the right thing to do.
The decision comes on the heels of a decision by Campbell County Commissioners at their June 15 meeting where they approved an open burning restriction and reinstated a ban on fireworks and their sale (County 17, June 25).
The sale and use of fireworks are always prohibited in the limits of the City of Gillette.
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has separately implemented fire bans on all federally owned lands and the Wyoming Game & Fish Department put in place fire bans for lands overseen by the Sheridan regional office. Crook, Campbell, Johnson, Weston, and Sheridan counties in northeast Wyoming all have implemented fire restrictions in some form or matter (County 17, June 21).
CCPRD’s release indicated that the remaining events scheduled for July 4th are still moving forward without change. A summary can be found below.
2021 4th of July – “Red, White & Boom”
- 6 to 9 a.m. – Firefighter Pancake Feed (106 Rohan Avenue)
- 7:15 a.m. – Gillette Physical Therapy 4 Mile Run/Walk (Bicentennial Soccer Fields)
- 11 a.m. – Registration for Activities at Bicentennial Park
- 12 Noon – Parade
- 2 to 4 p.m. – KOOL 105.3 Live DJ (Bicentennial Park)
- 2 p.m. – Free Hot Dog Feed Begins (Bicentennial Park), Human Foosball (Playground Courtyard), Mud Volleyball Begins (North side of Bicentennial Park), Pie Eating Contest (Playground Courtyard), Firefighter Water Fights Begin (North side of Bicentennial Park), Strongman/Woman Competition (Softball Field 3), Kids Games Begin (Goat Roper Field), JR’s Laser Tag / Archery / Bounce House (Basketball Court)
307 Patriots “Activities at CAM-PLEX”
- 6 to 9 p.m. – Fun on the Go: w/ Cotton Candy (CAM-PLEX Morningside Park)
- 6 to 9 p.m. – Gillette Main Street: Street Games (CAM-PLEX Morningside Park)
More information on the day’s events is available online.