State Breaches ‘New Normal’ as Gov. Gordon Removes, Relaxes Orders

Governor Mark Gordon
Governor Mark Gordon addressed the public detailing the state's response to the ongoing pandemic during a COVID-19 press conference earlier this year.

Governor Mark Gordon and the Wyoming Department of Health (WDH) announced Thursday the removal of an entire health order along with a continued relaxing of COVID-19 protocols as the state’s COVID-19 metrics continue to improve.

Beginning March 1, Health Order No. 3, which addresses restrictions on the operations of barber shops, nail and hair salons, tattoo parlors, and other personal care services, is being eliminated completely, according to a Feb. 25 press release from the governor’s office.

Attendance limits for indoor and outdoor gatherings will also increase, and restaurant and theater protocols and operations will see adjustments as well, per the release.

Gordon said additional changes to statewide protocols can be expected, adding that vaccination efforts are going to help accelerate the process.

-- Advertisement – Story Continues Below --

“The efforts made so far have allowed us to maximize attendance safely at larger events like the state high school wrestling championships this weekend and the state high school basketball tournament that was cancelled last year,” he said. “If we continue on our current trajectory, I expect us to be able to continue to remove orders as we safely return to a new normal.”

As of Thursday, more than 16% of the state’s population has received at least one vaccine dose – one of the highest rates in the country, the release stated.

Additionally, all Wyoming counties are now in phase 1b of the phased distribution plan, which includes adults 65 and over, frontline essential workers, and individuals with medical conditions that put them at higher risk, per the release.

The above changes will go into effect from March 1-15.