Digital News Journalist
We’re looking for an aggressive, lightning-fast digital news journalist to be County 17’s go-to resource for community news as it happens in Gillette, Wright, Campbell County and the surrounding areas. This digital community news journalist will provide the latest on what’s happening and why it’s important in local business, government and municipalities and the energy and education sectors, among others, and report on who closed that big development deal in town, and who’s hiring or laying off, etc., on County 17’s web and mobile-based community news platform and socials.
This news journalist will tell stories through words, photos and video, as well as on social media, and will break news in an engaging way, updating stories as often as necessary and helping those stories reach a large and informed audience by adding an irresistible headline, impeccable SEO and great visuals.
This journalist must understand the need for speed as well as context, and must be committed to increasing the sense of urgency across the County 17 newsroom. The goal is to help us grow our audience and boost profit margins while earning and engaging loyal readers by ensuring we are a credible, timely and compelling source for local and regional news.
The successful candidate will operate with an insatiable curiosity, and will prefer to report from outside the office, discovering the latest developments in this dynamic region. He or she will successfully share his or her work via stories, databases, interactives, etc., across multiple media platforms and outlets. The ability to tell a story effectively is a must, and a review of audience metrics and what can be learned from them will be part of this reporter’s regular routine.
We’re in the heart of an evolving energy industry as the county that produces 40% of the nation’s coal with some of the most innovative technologies in clean carbon and fossil fuels. Here, you’d have first-hand access to national stories all in your own backyard.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and one to two year’s experience preferred;
- Strong writing and reporting skills;
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics;
- The ability to shoot passable photos and videos;
- Ability to engage with readers and develop sources on social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter;
- Demonstrated ability to learn new skills in social and digital;
- Ability to correctly identify audiences for selected stories;
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and high energy;
- Ability to hit ambitious and sometimes ambiguous deadlines;
- A collaborative style that works comfortably across teams spread throughout the office and company;
- Will work comfortably in a job that will be fast-paced, data-driven, shaped constantly by feedback and experimentation and always evolving.
For more information, call (307) 686-5121.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to County 17 Creative Director Stephanie Scarcliff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, in-person applications and introductions are not being accepted at the County 17 office at this time.