Wyoming residents may be eligible for Medicaid in light of the COVID-19 pandemic that has impacted many throughout the state, according to an April 7 release from Wyoming Department of Health (WDH).
“We realize that COVID-19 has touched many residents’ lives, including those who may have suddenly and unexpectedly found themselves in a very different financial situation,” said Teri Green, Healthcare Financing Division senior administrator, in the release. “We want to help them know how they can apply for Medicaid in Wyoming and who the program covers.”
Wyoming Medicaid is a joint federal and state government program that helps with medical care for some low-income and medically needy individuals and families, per WDH.
Individuals and families are instructed to apply for Medicaid or the Kid Care “CHIP” program online by:
- calling the Wyoming Department of Health Customer Service Center at (855) 294-2127, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- sending applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to (855)-329-5205 (Applications and documentation can be scanned or a picture taken of the document to email.)
- applying online at www.wesystem.wy.gov.
Individuals must qualify financially as well as meet the criteria for that specific coverage group. Typically, this means falling under the federal poverty level (FPL), which is currently $26,200 of income per year for a family of four; income levels are adjusted up or down according to family size. Follow the link for more information on FPL amounts.
There are several broad categories of Medicaid eligibility in Wyoming, including:
- children (154 percent of FPL for ages 0-5; 133 percent of FPL for ages 6-18)
- pregnant women (154 percent of FPL)
- family care adults ($999 monthly income for a family of four)
- aged, blind or disabled
- special eligibility groups
- and Medicare savings programs.
For more specific information on Medicaid coverage groups, see Wyoming and eligibility criteria.
Residents may also apply for health insurance through the federally facilitated marketplace online at healthcare.gov or over the phone at 1 (800) 318-2596.
During the federally declared COVID-19 National Emergency, all individuals who were receiving Medicaid benefits in March 2020 or after will remain on benefits until the end of the month in which the emergency period ends, per WDH.
Wyoming Medicaid applications can be downloaded on the Wyoming Department of Health website.