No Animals Hurt in Wright Shed Fire
Ten puppies are safe following a shed fire in Wright that occurred over the weekend.
Early Saturday morning, at approximately 6:29 a.m., Campbell County Fire Department (CCFD) Station 9 in Wright responded to the report of a shed fire on Lila Road. When firefighters arrived on scene, an 8-by-12-foot shed was found partially engulfed in flames. CCFD quickly extinguished the blaze by removing parts of the floor and the siding, according to a Feb. 9 press release.
“We tore up the floor to get to the fire that had quickly spread from the floor to one wall,” said CCFD Captain Rob Dickey, adding that four Wright firefighters had responded on scene.
The cause of the fire was determined to be a heat lamp that had fallen onto a pile of straw, according to CCFD. In the shed, the lamp was being used to keep 10 puppies warm, the release stated.
The homeowner was able to safely remove all 10 puppies from the shed prior to CCFD’s arrival.
“This time of year, heat lamps are more prevalent, and we do see an increase in fires in outbuildings, sheds, and barns,” said CCFD Battalion Chief Ryan Fox.
Dickey also noted that to prevent fires like this, he encourages the community to properly secure any type of heating appliance and keep it out of the reach of any animals or children, as they have been known to knock things down.