Early Morning Fire Displaces Residents, Multiple Pets
Two families were displaced after an early morning chimney fire that occurred on Westhills Loop around 4 a.m. Sunday.
A Campbell County Sheriff’s deputy responded to a report of a structure fire at the adjoining condominiums early this morning, and as he was in the area, he arrived first on scene. After knocking loudly on the door, the deputy made contact with a male occupant to let him know there was a fire and to vacate the premises, according to CCSO Undersheriff Quentin Reynolds.
Reynolds said that while the two occupants dressed, the deputy moved the occupant’s truck out of the driveway to make room for the fire engine and also helped move several animals in pet carriers to the owner’s vehicle.
By the time Campbell County firefighters arrived on scene, the fire had extended into the neighboring unit in the eight-unit townhome row.
“We were fortunate on this one,” Battalion Chief Bryan Borgialli said. “We were staffed up for the winter storm and were able to have 12 people on scene for our initial response.”
The fire was quickly contained by 4:48 a.m., Borgialli added. Both homes suffered significant damage to the roof and attic areas, according to a fire department press release, which also stated the cause of the fire was due to electrical failure.
There were no injuries to the five residents and multiple pets that have been displaced. Red Cross was on scene to provide assistance.