Campbell County High School Students Transported to Hospital Thursday After Alleged Drug Use
Two Campbell County High School (CCHS) students were transported to Campbell County Memorial Hospital yesterday afternoon. Gillette Police Department (GPD) officers were called to the school after a lethargic 14-year-old male was brought to the nurse’s office.
Before EMS transported the student to the hospital, he reportedly told the school nurse that he smoked marijuana at lunch, and possibly ingested LSD before school, according to GPD Lieutenant Brent Wasson.
Another student, a 14-year-old female, who had allegedly been with the 14-year-old male earlier in the day, showed up at the nurse’s office with similar symptoms. She reportedly admitted to smoking marijuana during lunch and was also transported to the hospital.
CCHS staff then reviewed video surveillance and identified five other students who returned from lunch together, including a 16-year-old male, three 14-year-old females, and a 15-year-old female, who allegedly all admitted to having smoked marijuana.
LSD is an illegal, extremely potent hallucinogen, according to drugs.com, that is made from lysergic acid, a fungus that grows on rye and other grains. According to the same site, it can produce stimulating, pleasurable, and mind-altering symptoms that can lead to unpleasant, sometimes terrifying experiences sometimes called “bad trips.”
Charges are pending and the incident is still under investigation.