The smell of smoke still lingered from the residential fire yesterday evening on Sunflower Lane that displaced homeowner Jessica Meade and her six children, along with two additional children that Meade is currently guardian to, ranging in age from one to 17 years old.
Neighbor Sarah Rubincan was outside last night when she noticed smoke coming from her next-door neighbor’s home. She walked over to get a better look and could see flames through the side window. She and her husband immediately called 911.
“It almost looked like steam coming off of the roof,” Rubincan said. “It didn’t even look like a fire at first, but you could smell the smoke.”
Rubincan’s husband kicked in the door of the mobile home, and the pair then went through the rooms yelling to make sure no one was in danger before leaving after finding no one home. Soon thereafter, Meade reached Rubincan and let her know the family was attending church services at Central Baptist Church when the fire broke out.
Rubincan estimated that the Campbell County Fire Department (CCFD) arrived within three to four minutes after they called 911. With smoke billowing, the firefighters entered and extinguished the fire that was isolated to a bedroom. The home sustained extensive heat and smoke damage, according to the CCFD press release this morning.
While no cause has yet to be determined, CCFD Captain Kate Eischeid said the fire was most likely electrical. She also noted that it was good that the neighbor shut the door on the way out as that helped keep the active fire from growing further.
“God is going to provide,” said Meade, who has owned the home for just under two months and does not have insurance coverage.
The firefighters turned the family over to the Red Cross for assistance. Meade and children stayed in a hotel last night and will be there through the weekend while she sorts through options on what to do next.
Local firefighters are providing the kids with new coats, hats, gloves, and Halloween costumes. The Assembly of God and Central Baptist churches have also reached out to help, according to Meade.
A Facebook fundraiser was started this morning to help the family with home repairs and to replace lost and damaged possessions. The link to donate is here.