TEXT-TO-9-1-1 if you can’t
What is TEXT-TO-9-1-1?
TEXT-TO-9-1-1 is the ability to send a text message to 911 from your mobile phone or handheld device. Messages are routed to the appropriate Campbell County 911 center in a designated queue.
- TEXT-TO-9-1-1 is not available everywhere, and it’s not always available when roaming.
- You must subscribe to your wireless carrier’s text or data plan in order to make or receive text messages. Standard text messaging rates apply.
- If TEXT-TO-9-1-1 is not available in your area, or is temporarily unavailable, you should receive a message indicating this with instructions on how to contact 911 by other means.
- If you do not receive a text response from 911, try to contact 911 another way.
Who should TEXT-TO-9-1-1?
Text-TO-9-1-1 is intended for use in four emergency scenarios:
- For an individual who is deaf, hard of hearing, or has a speech disability.
- For someone who is in a situation where it is not safe to place a voice call to 911.
- A medical emergency that renders a person incapable of speech.
- If you have difficulty communicating in English.
Warning to prank texters:
TEXT-TO-9-1-1 is for use in an emergency only. Prank texters can be identified and prosecuted according to local laws and regulations, and non-emergency users will be prosecuted.
Note to texters and callers:
- The preferred language for texting to 911 is English.
- Voice calls to 911 are still the best and fastest way to contact 911 because voice calls are real-time communication, and TEXT-TO-9-1-1 is not.
- As with all text messages, messages to 911 may take longer to receive, may get out of order, or may not be received at all.
- Photos and videos cannot be sent to 911 at this time.
- TEXT-TO-9-1-1 cannot include more than one person. If you include anyone else on your text, it may not be received.
- Texting GPS location information is not equal to current wireless-location technology.
- Keep messages short.
- DO NOT TEXT AND DRIVE.
For more information about TEXT-TO-911, contact Police Dispatch at (307) 682-5155.