Errant Firework Damages Home

One Gillette family got a little more than they bargained for during the first public display of the Pyrotechnic Guild International’s Golden Anniversary Convention Saturday night.

According to Campbell County Fire Chief Jeff Bender, fire crews responded to the report of a structure fire in Collins Heights at approximately 9:15 p.m. Aug. 11. The cause of the fire was a firework that went through the roof and exploded inside the residence.

With a response time under 60 seconds, the homeowner had extinguished the small fire prior to the arrival of the fire department.

Campbell County Public Information Coordinator Ivy Castleberry said there was no one inside the home at the time of the incident. They were all outside watching the display.

-- Advertisement – Story Continues Below --

“PGI is covering all the homeowners expenses while our investigation continues. We have reconfigured our display operations to prevent any  further such circumstances,” read a statement from PGI.

No estimate of damage has been released, but the occupants were displaced as a result of the incident.