Donkey Creek Pathway Project
(Gillette, Wyo.) With winter finally setting in, this may not be the season for long evening walks. But, plans are still in the works to make those walks more enjoyable in the future.
City of Gillette Senior Civil Engineer Josh Richardson said phase one of the Donkey Creek Pathway Project will be complete this spring. “There’s already people using what’s there. I use it every night, my wife uses it. A lot of people walk their dogs.” As soon as the bridge is installed this phase connects Dalbey Park with the Energy Capital Sports Complex.
Richardson said funding, which is 80 percent federal grants, is already in place for the first three phases of the project. “We have to pay for the entire project and then the feds reimburse the state and the state reimburses the city for our 80 percent.” The other 20 percent of funding come from the city’s one percent funds.
The Donkey Creek Pathway project is an eight-foot wide concrete pathway that will follow Garner Lake Road across Donkey Creek and then continue up to Sinclair Ave. There’s a flashing pedestrian crossing at Butler Spaeth and Sinclair.
Richardson said the plan will eventually include signs along the pathways all over Gillette. “We’re trying to look at the idea of putting up mile markers so people can tell where they are, where they’re going, how far they’ve come.”
Phase Two runs from Dalbey Park to Gillette College where the pathway will take you right across the wetlands, a lot of which is just open fields right now. Richard explained the eventual goal is a pathway system that would allow residents to traverse from the western city limits to the eastern city limits. The first real cross town pathway would be approximately 15 miles when complete.
“We’ve got great park systems. The trail system we’re trying to get in place is just enhancing all of that,” said Richardson. “We’ve got actually much more here than any town of this size.” The Park Advisory Committee sets the priories for all the pathways and open to any citizen who would like to participate. Contact Josh Richardson at the City Engineering office if you’d like to attend their next meeting.